Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Comfort Food, Dinner, Dinners, Eggs, Garlic, Greenwich Free Press, Italian Sausage, Italian Seasoning, Kosher Salt, Mozzarella, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Onions, Parmesan Cheese, Pasta, Pasta Dinners, Pepper, Red Pepper Flakes, Ricotta Cheese, Salt, Sausage, Sausage & Mushroom Baked Ziti, Sausage & Mushroom Baked Ziti With Vodka Sauce, Sweet Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vodka Sauce, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Ziti
Here is a dish that the whole family will love and you won’t get any complaints for packing the leftovers for lunch the next day. If you would like this pasta dish a bit spicy then use hot Italian sausage instead of sweet Italian sausage.
- 1 Pound Ziti
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (Diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Cup Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 2 Pounds Loose Sweet Italian Sausage
- 28 Ounces Diced Tomatoes (Undrained)
- 7 Cups Vodka Sauce
- 2 Teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 2 1/2 Cups Grated Mozzarella Cheese (Divided)
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 8 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella Cheese (Sliced)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In large-size pot filled with salted water cook ziti until al dente. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In large-size pot add olive oil. Turn heat to medium. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes until onions begin to soften. Add Italian sausage and cook another 5 minutes until browned. Drain off fat.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), vodka sauce, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, kosher salt, and pepper. Stir and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Transfer half of sauce to a bowl to let cool.
- In separate large-size bowl combine ricotta cheese, 2 cups grated mozzarella, Parmesan, and egg. Add cooled ziti to ricotta mixture and toss to slightly combine. Add half cooled meat sauce and toss to coat pasta.
- Transfer half coated ziti to large-size casserole dish. Spoon half of remaining sauce over the top. Top with remaining shredded mozzarella cheese. Repeat with another layer of ziti and sauce. Lay slices of fresh mozzarella on top.
- Place in oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes until bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Serves 8
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen