Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Ashkenazi, Cinnamon, Desserts, Eggs, Jewish Holidays, Kugel, Nutmeg, Oil, Orange Juice, Oranges, Passover, Raisins, Rice, Rice Pudding, Sugar, Traditional Ashkenazi Baked Rice Pudding Kugel, Vanilla, Vegan, Vegetable Oil, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, Water, White Rice, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
For many people, kugel is one of those foods that brings back old memories and strong nostalgia. Kugels were traditionally fried and because most frying pans are round kugels came out round, which is where the name comes from. Kugel means round or circular.
- 1 Cup Uncooked White Rice
- 2 Cups Water
- 1/3 Cup Raisins
- 4 Eggs (Lightly Beaten)
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Warm Water (For Soaking Raisins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease 10 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- In medium-size saucepan add 2 cups water and rice. Cook until soft, but not mushy. Remove from heat.
- While rice is cooking, soak raisins in warm water.
- In large-size bowl combine eggs, orange juice, sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cooked rice. Drain raisins and add to bowl. Combine well.
- Pour mixture into pan. Place in oven for 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- To serve just cut it as you would cut a piece of cake or pie.
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 90 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved