Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 80 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 4
Beef Stroganoff or Beef Stroganov is a Russian dish, named after one of the members of the influential Stroganov family, of sautéed pieces of beef served in a sauce with sour cream (smetana). From its origins in mid 19th century Russia, it has become popular around the world with considerable variations from the original recipe. Beef Stroganoff preparation varies significantly not only based on geography, but based on other factors as well, such as the cut of meat and seasonings selected. Meat for the dish can be cut in different ways and is sometimes diced, cubed, or cut into strips. Some variations include mushrooms and onions or other vegetables and varied seasonings such as sugar, salt, black pepper, and bottled marinades, especially Worcestershire sauce, and rubs. In the version often prepared in the United States today it consists of strips of beef filet with a mushroom, onion, and sour cream sauce, and is served over rice or noodles.
- 2 Pounds Sirloin (Cut Into Thin Strips)
- 1 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter (Divided)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 16 Ounces Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Dry Sherry
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- 2/3 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Pound Egg Noodles
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (For Noodles)
- Dredge sirloin strips in flour.
- In large-size skillet over a medium-high heat melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add sirloin strips and cook about 3 minutes on each side until fully cooked. Remove from pan and transfer to plate. Set aside.
- Add remaining butter to skillet. Sauté onions and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Return sirloin to skillet and add kosher salt and pepper. Stir well. Add sherry, thyme, beef broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Cook noodles in large-size stockpot of generously salted water until al dente and drain. Return back to stockpot and add butter. Replace lid to keep noodles warm.
- Serve immediately with buttered noodles.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 80 Minutes Total Time: 100 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved