Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
A delicious white cake brushed with coffee and rum and frosted with mascarpone frosting.
- 3 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temperature)
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 5 Large Egg Whites
- Espresso Syrup:
- 1/2 Cup Espresso (Or Strongly Brewed Coffee)
- 4 Teaspoons Dark Rum
- 4 Teaspoons Powdered Sugar
- 2 Cups Mascarpone Cheese (Room Temperature)
- 4 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Rum
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 24 Ladyfingers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease three 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In another medium-size bowl combine milk, sour cream, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add half of flour mixture. Mix until combined. Add milk mixture to bowl. Mix until combined. Add remaining flour mixture. Mix until well combined.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold egg whites into batter until fully incorporated.
- Evenly divide batter between cake pans. Place in oven 30 to 32 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- For espresso syrup whisk all ingredients together in medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- For frosting cream mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar until light and fluffy. Add rum and vanilla. Beat until incorporated. In separate bowl whip cream on high until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until well combined.
- To assemble cake, make sure to allow cake layers to cool for 20 minutes. Place one layer of cake on a large plate. Brush top with one third of the espresso syrup. Spread 1 cup frosting evenly over top of layer. Repeat process with remaining two layers of cake. Use remaining frosting to frost top and outside of cake. Using a fine-mesh sifter, gently sift cocoa powder onto top of cake. Gently press ladyfingers into frosting on sides of cake.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Serve chilled.
- Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
- Makes 1 Cake
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes Cook Time: 32 Minutes Total Time: 72 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved