Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Brown Sugar, Cilantro, Crispy Shallots, Fish Sauce, Garlic, Ginger, Greenwich Free Press, Kosher Salt, Lime Juice, Lime Zest, Limes, Oil, Salad, Salads, Salt, Shallots, Squash, Sugar, Summer Fun, Summer Squash, Summer Squash Salad, Vegan, Vegetable Oil, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Yellow Squash, Zucchini
Have a bumper crop of summer squash already? Many people ask me what they should do with all that squash and I have to admit that one starts to run out of ideas. Make a summer squash salad with delicious crispy shallots. Summer, of course, is about lightening things up a bit and there’s nothing better than a tasty summer salad.
- 3 Large Shallots (Thinly Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 4 Small Zucchini
- 4 Small Yellow Squash
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Lime Zest
- 4 Tablespoons Lime Juice (Divided)
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fresh Ginger (Minced)
- 1/4 Cup Cilantro (Chopped)
- In a large-size skillet add oil and turn heat to medium. Get oil hot and add shallots. Cook 15 minutes until deep golden brown. Stir occasionally. Lift shallots from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Set oil aside.
- Meanwhile, slice squash into 1/4 inch rounds. Put squash in colander, sprinkle with kosher salt. Gently toss to coat. Set aside for 30 minutes to drain.
- Stir lime zest and 3 tablespoons lime juice, brown sugar, fish sauce, garlic, and ginger together in medium-size bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Blot squash dry between layers of paper towels. Add squash and cilantro to bowl with lime juice mixture. Toss to coat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Transfer to shallow serving dish and top with crispy shallots. Drizzle reserved oil over salad.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved