Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like this Greek baked pasta dish that is deeply satisfying and yet easy to make.
- 1 Pound Ground Lamb
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Dry Red Wine
- 3 Tablespoons Snipped Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano (Crushed)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Eggs (Beaten Individually In Individual Bowls)
- 4 Tablespoon Butter
- 4 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Whole Milk
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cup Elbow Macaroni (Cooked & Drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large-size skillet cook ground lamb, onions, and garlic over a medium heat for 10 minutes until brown and onion is tender. Remove from heat and drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, red wine, parsley, oregano, kosher salt, and cinnamon. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and very gradually stir lamb mixture into one of the beaten eggs. Set aside.
- Béchamel Sauce: In medium-size saucepan melt butter. Stir in flour and pepper. Add 1 2/3 cups milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 more minute. Gradually stir mixture into two of the beaten eggs. Stir in half of Parmesan cheese. Toss macaroni with remaining egg, remaining milk, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- To assemble: In an 8x8x2 inch baking dish layer half of macaroni mixture, all of lamb mixture, remaining macaroni mixture, and all of béchamel sauce. Place in oven for 30 minutes until set. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 75 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved