Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Allspice, Beans, Beef, Black Beans, Bulgur, Buns, Chick Peas, Cinnamon, Cooking Light, Cucumbers, Cumin, Flour, Hamburgers, Kosher Salt, Lettuce, Light Side, Mint, Mint Leaves, Olive Oil, Pepper, Salt, Tomatoes, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Burgers, Victoria Hart Glavin, Water, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Yogurt
These healthy vegetarian burgers are full of Middle Eastern flavor and will satisfy both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. Beans make them hearty, so no one will miss the beef. If you don’t want to make the yogurt sauce then by all means leave it out.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1Teaspoon Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1/2 Cup Bulgur
- 2 Cups Cooked Black Beans or Cooked Chick Peas
- 6 Ounces Plain Yogurt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cucumber
- Unbleached Flour
- Olive Oil
- 4 Buns
- 4 Lettuce Leaves
- 1 Medium Tomato (Sliced)
- 4 Dill Pickle Slices (Optional)
- Heat water and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in 1-quart saucepan. Bring to boil over a high heat. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Simmer 12 minutes until water is absorbed.
- In large-size bowl mash beans and 3 tablespoons yogurt with potato masher until almost smooth. Add cooked bulgur, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, and 1/2 chopped mint leaves.
- With floured hands, form bean mixture into four round patties. Lightly coat both sides of patties with olive oil.
- Heat large-size skillet over a medium heat until nice and hot. Add burgers and cook 8 minutes until lightly browned and heated through. Turn once halfway through cooking process.
- Prepare yogurt sauce. In small size bowl, combine shredded cucumber, remaining yogurt, remaining mint, remaining kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. This should make about 1 1/4 cups yogurt sauce.
- Remove burgers from heat and divide lettuce, tomato slices, and burgers among buns. Top with a bit of yogurt sauce. Serve with remaining yogurt sauce.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen