Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Chilling a tart crust before baking helps it retain its shape.
- 1 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 6 Tablespoons Cold Butter (Cut Into Pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Shortening
- 2 To 3 Tablespoons Ice Water
- In large-size bowl, with wire whisk, stir flour and salt. With pastry blender or two knives used scissor-fashion, cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing lightly with fork after each addition, until dough is just moist enough to hold together.
- Shape dough into disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for 30 minutes or up to overnight. If chilled overnight, let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before rolling.
- Roll dough into 11-inch round. Ease dough into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fold overhand in and press dough against side of pan so it extends 1/8 inch above rim. Proceed as directed. Makes enough pastry for one 9-inch tart shell.
- Makes 1 Pastry for 9-Inch Tart
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen All Rights Reserved