Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
This classic Provence summer tart is delicious and is better served tepid rather than hot from the oven.
- 3 Large Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1 Pound Zucchini
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 1 10-Inch Pie Shell (Blind Baked - Baked And Unfilled)
- 1/3 Pound Gruyere Cheese (Cut Into Thin Squares)
- 1 Pint Heavy Cream
- 4 Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To peel the tomatoes, use a small, sharply pointed paring knife, cut out ta cone at the stem of each to remove the core, then slit a cross in the skin at the bottom or flower end and plunge them into a pot of boiling water. Drain immediately and slip off the skins, pulling the corners at the cross, between thumb and knife blade, toward the stem ends. To seed the tomatoes, slice each in half horizontally or crosswise, delicately loosen the pockets of seeds with the tip of your little finger and shake gently to get rid of seeds and water. Thickly slice tomatoes crosswise. You should get four slices from each tomato.
- Sprinkle both sides of each tomato with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and lay out on large-size sieve or cake rack covered with tea towel or paper towels for 30 minutes. This drains the water from the tomatoes.
- While the tomatoes are draining prepare the zucchini. Grate zucchini and layer them in medium-size bowl. Salt layers with 1 tablespoon kosher salt and leave to drain 30 minutes. Squeeze dry to a firm ball. Sauté drained zucchini in unsalted butter for 4 minutes over a medium heat.
- Scatter the zucchini loosely over bottom of tart shell. Lay the tomato slices on top of zucchini. Place cheese slices over tomato slices.
- In medium-size bowl whisk together cream, eggs, and pepper. Gently pour egg mixture over vegetables. Place in oven 30 to 40 minutes until swelled and golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes before serving.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 60 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes Total Time: 100 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved