Yields or Serves: 8 Makes 1 Loaf
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet. I like to take advantage of root vegetable season and bake this quick bread with puréed sweet potatoes for a nice change of pace.
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes (Peeled, Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease the inside of an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan. Line with enough parchment paper to hang over the two sides. Set aside.
- In medium-size microwave-safe baking dish combine sweet potatoes and 1/4 cup water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave 5 minutes until very tender. Drain well and transfer to food processor. Purée until smooth. You should have about a cup of purée.
- In medium-size bowl combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and kosher salt. In large-size bowl whisk together applesauce, eggs, sugar, buttermilk, vanilla, and sweet potato purée.
- Stir flour mixture into sweet potato mixture until just combined. Transfer to prepared loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Place in oven and bake 40 to 50 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool bread in pan on wire rack. Use parchment paper overhang to remove bread from pan.
- Makes 1 Loaf
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 55 Minutes Total Time: 75 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved