Yields or Serves: 4
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
You don’t have to go to an Italian restaurant to make a version of Spaghetti alle Vongole. This easy Italian clam pasta dish is easily recreated at home with just a few simple ingredients. If you’re on a gluten-free diet then just use your favorite GF spaghetti.
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Divided)
- 2 Large Shallots (Finely Chopped)
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 8 Ounces Clam Juice
- 3 Wide Strips Lemon Zest
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice (Divided)
- 12 Ounces Spaghetti
- 3 Dozen Small Littleneck Clams (Scrubbed)
- 1 Cup Basil Leaves (Chopped)
- Bring large-size pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in Dutch oven over a medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring until fragrant but not brown. Add clam juice and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes until reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta per package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta water before draining.
- When pasta is about halfway through cooking, add clams to reduced clam juice mixture and simmer covered, shaking pan occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes until clams open. Remove any clams that have not opened.
- While clams are cooking, very thinly slice lemon zest strips. Toss lemon zest with clams along with remaining lemon juice and half of basil. Toss in reserved pasta water if necessary.
- Transfer to large-size serving bowl.
- Serve drizzled with remaining olive oil and remaining basil.
- Note: If you are using an alternative grain pasta, make sure to toss gently with toppings and sauces, as the noodles are more delicate.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved