Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 105 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 8 Makes 1 Pie
Tags: Baking, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Dinner, Eggs, Ginger, Gracious Vintage, Half And Half, Holiday Desserts, Holidays, Kosher Salt, Nutmeg, Parchment Paper, Pie, Pie Crust, Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Puree, Pumpkins, Salt, Sugar, Sugar Pumpkin, Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving Dessert, Tiny New York Kitchen, Victoria Hart Glavin
Pumpkin Pie is the iconic Thanksgiving dessert, but how often do you make it from scratch? The easiest way to elevate the flavor of your pumpkin pie is to make the purée from a real pumpkin (sugar pumpkin). All you need is a bit of extra prep time. Begin by cutting the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds. Then lay the pumpkin cut side down on a baking tray line with parchment paper. Bake the pumpkin for about an hour, until it is tender and can easily be cut into. Once the pumpkin is out of the oven, let it cook for a few minutes then scoop out the flesh and blend it in a food processor until nice and smooth.
- 1 Sugar Pumpkin (Makes About 1 1/4 Cup Pumpkin Purée)
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Nine Inch Pie Crust (Blind Baked At 400 Degrees For 10 Minutes)
- Pumpkin Purée: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Place pumpkin, cut side down, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place in oven 1 hour, until pumpkin is very tender and a knife can easily cut into it. Once pumpkin is out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes before scooping out the flesh with a spoon and blend it in a food processor until smooth.
- Lover oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- In large-size bowl, combine pumpkin purée, eggs, sugar, brown sugar, kosher salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and half & half until nice and smooth. Transfer mixture into partially baked crust and place in oven 35 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve warm or cold with freshly whipped cream or scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Makes 1 Pie
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 105 Minutes Total Time: 125 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved