Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 2 Average: 5/5]
Make these tender flaky pastries for weekend breakfasts or for a special brunch.
- 1 1/2 Cups Butter (Softened)
- 1/3 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Warm Water (105°F to 115°F)
- 4 1/2 Teaspoons Active Dry Yeast (2 Packets)
- 3 3/4 To 4 1/4 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Large Egg Yolk
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- In large-size bowl combine butter and 1/3 cup unbleached flour. Beat until mixed well.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread butter mixture into a 12x6 inch rectangle on waxed paper. Place another piece of waxed paper over butter rectangle. Place in refrigerator for 1 hour until firm.
- In a 1-quart saucepan add milk and kosher salt. Turn heat to medium and cook 4 to 5 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Turn heat off and cool to lukewarm (105°F to 115°F).
- In large-size bowl add warm water and yeast. Stir until dissolved. Add cooled milk, 2 cups unbleached flour, and egg. Beat until combined well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover with kitchen towel and let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll dough into 14-inch square. Place chilled butter mixture onto one half of dough. Fold over other half of dough. Seal edges. Roll into 21x12 inch rectangle. Fold into thirds and seal edges. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator 1 hour. Repeat rolling and folding dough 3 times. Cover and place in refrigerator 3 hours to overnight.
- Remove from fridge. Roll out dough into 24x14 inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise. Cut into 6 even sections making 12 (7x4”) squares. Cut each square diagonally, making 24 triangles. Roll up each triangle loosely, starting from wide edge. Place point down onto greased baking sheets. Curve ends. Cover with kitchen towel and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In small-size bowl beat egg yolk with water. Brush over croissants.
- Place in oven 13 to 16 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Makes 24
- Prep Time: 120 Minutes Cook Time: 16 Minutes Chill Time: Lots Of Chill Time Total Time: 136 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved