Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 3 Average: 5/5]
Krautsalat is another one of my childhood favorites. It’s easy to make and sure to please any cabbage and bacon lover!
- 1 Large Green Cabbage (Shredded)
- 1/2 Pound Bacon (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Shred cabbage and chop onion and bacon. Make sure bacon is chopped into tiny bits.
- In large-size deep frying pan place bacon and cook 8 minutes over a medium-high heat. You will want bacon to be nice and crisp.
- Remove from heat and with a slotted spoon remove bacon and transfer to plate. You will want to leave bacon fat in pan.
- Add onions, garlic, pepper, and bay leaf to pan with bacon fat. Cook for 8 minutes over medium-high heat. You will want onions and garlic browned.
- Pour in vinegar. Bring to a simmer. Turn off heat. Add cabbage and bacon. Toss as you would a salad. Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve warm.
- Serves 6
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved