Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 3 Average: 5/5]
Whether to call this side dish dressing or stuffing is an ongoing Thanksgiving debate. The term stuffing is usually used when it is cooked inside the turkey, while dressing is typically cooked in a baking dish. The name also varies depending on what part of the United States you are from. People who come form the East and South are more likely to call it dressing. Whatever term you use, the dish is a favorite on Thanksgiving menus from coast to coast.
- 1 Large Loaf French Bread (Torn Into 1/2 Inch Pieces
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 10 Shallots (Peeled & Chopped)
- 1 Fennel Bulb (Trimmed & Diced)
- 1 Celery Root (Peeled & Diced)
- 1 1/2 Cups Toasted Walnuts (Coarsely Chopped)
- 2 McIntosh Or Fuji Apples (Peeled & Diced)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Sage
- 1 Cup Dried Cranberries
- 3 To 4 Cups Milk
- Scatter bread out on baking sheet and let dry overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13x9 inch baking dish.
- In large-size sauté pan over a medium heat melt butter. Add shallots. Sauté 10 to 12 minutes until tender. Add fennel, celery root, walnuts, and apples. Sauté 3 to 4 minutes until fennel is tender. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- In large-size bowl, combine bread and shallot mixture. Add coriander, thyme, sage, cranberries, and 3 cups milk. Gently stir to combine. Let stand, 30 minutes until milk has absorbed, stirring occasionally. If dressing seems dry add more milk as needed.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake about 1 hour until browned and crispy.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
- NOTE: You may pack dressing loosely in body and neck cavities of the turkey. Secure the neck flap with kitchen string or pin it to the back with toothpicks or trussing pins. Tying the legs together will help hold the stuffing in the body cavity. For turkeys weighing 16 pounds or less add 30 minutes to the total roasting time. For turkeys weighting more than 16 pounds, add 1 hour to the total roasting time.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 50 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 110 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved