Yields or Serves: 8
Oh, my goodness talk about comfort food at its best! Loaded with sausage, bacon, potatoes, and kale, it’s so delicious and filling that you and your family will want this classic Zuppa Toscana soup often and you’ll be happy to have leftovers. Serve with crusty Italian bread.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Pounds Spicy Italian Sausage
- 16 Slices Bacon (Diced)
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (Diced)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 64 Ounces Chicken Stock
- 8 Large Russet Potatoes (Peeled And Diced)
- 3 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Bunches Kale (De-stemmed And Chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- In large-size Dutch oven add olive oil. Turn heat to a medium-high. Add sausage and cook 5 minutes until browned. Break up pieces while cooking. Remove and transfer to paper towels to drain. Leave sausage drippings in pot. Add diced bacon and cook 5 minutes until crisp. Remove bacon and transfer to paper towels to drain. Remove all but about 2 tablespoons grease.
- Add onions to pot and cook 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Sprinkle flour over onions and garlic. Stir well to combine. Pour in chicken stock making sure to stir while pouring. Add diced potatoes and bring to a boil. Gently boil 15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Add sausage, bacon, cream and chopped kale. Cook 10 minutes, stirring, until kale has wilted. Add kosher salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 more minute.
- Transfer to large-size serving bowl and serve immediately.
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 42 Minutes Total Time: 72 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved