Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Basil, Bell Peppers, Chickpea Salad, Chickpeas, Chili Flakes, Cooking Light, Cumin, Eggplant, Greenwich Free Press, Kosher Salt, Light Side, Olive Oil, Olives, Onions, Pepper, Peppers, Red Pepper Flakes, Rosemary, Salads, Salt, Squash, Tomatoes, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vinegar, Warm Chickpea Salad, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Zucchini
This chickpea salad is a nice change from a green salad.. I typically make a green salad to go with dinner each night and sometimes like to change it up a bit. Make sure to choose tomatoes that are firm rather than overripe for this recipe.
- 1/2 Cup Dried Chickpeas (Soaked Overnight In Cold Water)
- 2 Medium Eggplants (Peeled & Diced)
- 2 1/4 Teaspoons Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1 Medium Onion (Diced)
- 2 Bell Peppers (Trimmed, Seeded & Diced)
- 1 Small Zucchini (Diced)
- 1 Sprig Rosemary (Minced & Divided)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Chili Flakes
- 1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Tomatoes (Diced)
- 3/4 Cup Pitted Black Olives (Optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 2 Sprigs Basil (Rough Chopped)
- Rinse chickpeas and add to medium-size pot. Add water and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer for 1 hour until done. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Placed diced eggplant in glass bowl (non-reactive) and toss with 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Let sit for 1 hour. After eggplant has been sitting for 1 hour press to extract excess moisture.
- Place eggplant on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place in oven for 25 minutes until nicely caramelized. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large-size sauté pan add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Turn heat to medium. Add onions and sauté for 6 minutes until soft, but not browned. Add bell peppers and zucchini. Add 1/2 of minced rosemary, pepper, cumin, and chili flakes. Sauté for another 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, cooked eggplant, and vinegar. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to large-size serving bowl. Toss in olives, remaining rosemary and basil.
- Serve warm.
- Serves 4
- “Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen