Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 8
Tags: Brown Sugar, Butter, Cheese, Cubano, Cubano Sandwiches, Deli Ham, Dijon Mustard, Garlic, Gracious Vintage, Ham, Mustard, Pepper, Pickles, Pork, Pork Belly, Pork Belly Cubano, Pork Loin, Salt, Sandwich Rolls, Sandwiches, Spareribs, Sugar, Swiss Cheese, Tiny New York Kitchen, Victoria Hart Glavin
Pork belly comes from the underside of the pig, once the spareribs and loin have been removed. One of the easiest ways to prepare pork belly is to score the fat side and slow cook in the oven. Scoring allows some of the fat to render while keeping the pork tender and juicy.
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Freshly Ground Pepper
- 5 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 1/2 Pounds Pork Belly (Cut Lengthwise)
- 8 Sandwich Rolls (Sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 16 Slices Swiss Cheese
- 16 Slices Thinly Sliced Deli Ham
- 4 Dill Pickles (Thinly Sliced)
- 1/2 Cup Butter (Softened)
- In small-size bowl combine kosher salt, brown sugar, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Rub mixture on pork. Crosshatch fat side of the pork with 1/4-inch-deep knife cuts, spaced about 1 inch apart. Wrap pork in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator 8 to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove pork from refrigerator and unwrap. Place, fat side up, on a large-size foil-lined baking sheet. Place on top oven rack for 2 to 3 hours until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before slicing. Set aside.
- Spread top side of roll with mustard. Layer both sides of roll with Swiss cheese. Layer roll bottoms with sliced pork, ham and pickles. Cover with roll tops.
- Preheat panini press, large-size cast-iron pan or griddle to a medium heat. Spread sandwich tops and bottoms with butter. Place in heated pan. You may want to use another pan to weigh down sandwiches if using cast-iron pan or griddle. Cook until golden on both sides.
- Halve sandwiches and serve.
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 35 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved