Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Whipped egg whites add lightness without the need for leavening. A delicious gluten-free cake that’s perfect for Passover or anytime. If you’re making this cake for Passover you will want to use Kosher for Passover ingredients.
- 3 Cups Walnut Halves
- 1/2 Cup Sugar (Divided)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 4 Large Eggs (Room Temperature And Separated)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Finely Grated Orange Zest
- 1 Cup Chopped Pitted Dates
- 1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch spring form pan and set aside.
- In food processor combine 3 cups walnut halves, 1/4 cup sugar, and cinnamon. Pulse until walnuts form coarse crumbs.
- Separate egg yolks and whites. Reserve yolks. Place egg whites in clean bowl with pinch of salt. Beat egg whites until think and foamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a little bit at a time, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Combine walnut mixture with reserved egg yolks, vanilla, orange zest, and dates. Mix in 1/4 of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter.
- Fold walnut mixture into remaining egg whites. Make sure not to over mix. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Place in oven 60 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top immediately after cake comes out of the oven. Let chocolate chips melt slightly and then spread melted chocolate over cake with a knife. Allow to cool 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pan and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Slice and serve.
- Tip: Use room temperature eggs as they trap more air, yielding and airy cake.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 80 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved